PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 17:19
gdiddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a whole number of Wizz Air's new routes at Gatwick which are currently flown from Luton, will no longer be operated and shifted south of the river Thames!

Looks like it includes:
  • Rome FCO
  • Milan MXP
  • Bari
  • Catania
  • Naples
  • Faro
  • Athens
  • Vienna
  • Alicante
As some of these routes are only seasonal, they are currently only operating on and off from Luton between now and April 2022, and from April/May 2022 these routes completely dry up at LTN.

Obviously there is more money to be made on these routes from Gatwick!

Seems a bit of a backward step and the airline is going back to its routes focusing on LTN to Central/Eastern Europe. There are still numerous Mediterranean and leisure routes being flown by Wizz from LTN, but makes you wonder if these routes are being put on notice and will gradually shift, as and when Wizz gets more slots at LGW.

During the pandemic, with most routes operating at a lower frequency, I guess it was possible to operate the majority of them all from LTN, but as we come out of the pandemic and the airport is unable to release any more slots at the moment to Wizz or other airlines, I guess they need to shift a number of routes to Gatwick as they ramp up daily frequencies on other long standing routes.

I guess in some ways makes sense to fly the routes they have chsen from one London airport instead of operating a fragmented schedule from both airports.

Last edited by gdiddy; 23rd Dec 2021 at 17:37.