PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 13:04
longer ron

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Not many fresh gliding stories from me currently.
I had to sell my 1/2 share in a nice glider because my dodgy knee was making it difficult for cockpit access/egress,so for the last 12 months I have been slumming it with a 1/14th share of our 1962 Ka8b,not much in the way of performance but easy access,just waiting for something better to come along

My last little mini adventure was sep 2020 when myself and swbo drove from Perthshire down to Cranditz to view and possibly pick up a glider trailer - up at 0400 - out the door at 0500,drive down to Cranditz to view the 2nd/10th hand 50 year old glider trailer.
Booking into the guardroom was fun,the guy on duty was v nice but the lady in charge was a little fierce ,he looked me up on the great computer and asked if I had visited before - I said 'no' and he then asked me if I had visited any other stations ' ''loads'' I said,he seemed happy with my last 2 visits to Scampton and used my old company photo for my pass (I thought it easier not to mention I was now retired ) - had a quick look at the trailer - bought it and should have been ready for return leg at 1300 but a snag with LH indicator on trailer delayed our departure until 1400 .So a 650 mile round trip - we dumped the trailer off at the airfield at 1950,our route being Cranditz/A1/A66/M6/M74/A702/M90 with a surprise diversion off the A702 just to make us even later (they closed the A702 a full day before the published date for road works).
Because we had refuelled in Lincs we just stopped once for a 10 min 'splash and dash' at Abington services on the way home -nice easy parking space in the HGV park .
This trip was done in our 2008 Sportage turbo diesel auto,a great little tow car and motorway cruiser,iirc the old girl did approx 35mpg overall and I certainly was not hanging about