PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Fatal Wirestrike
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 01:52
megan

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts
As for being "a tough crowd"? I think we damn well should be a tough crowd to ourselves as an industry because these kind of "accidents" and near misses simply should not be happening anywhere near as frequently as they are
In the process of being tough we need to be cognisant of the human, no human is perfect. Why do we have collisions on the roads where we operate in very benign circumstances?
After 40 years in the cockpit, I realise that not highlighting the errors of others is the mistake - we hide behind no-blame culture and paper-safety from SMS so we can can keep taking those risks because we are pilots and clearly a cut above the rest of the human race (or so many of us seem to think).

Flying into a set of wires you didn't know were there is unfortunate - flying into a set you did know was there is a failure to aviate properly.
From my incident can you tell me how I failed to aviate properly? Clearly an error, but explain to me in simple language why it occurred, as would be written in a incident report by investigators. Trying to lay "blame" on an individual is a failure to learn from the particular incident, examine the cause of the accident and try to learn something from it. With this particular incident we have absolutely no idea what the pilots motivations were, nor the circumstances surrounding the flight, or pressures he may have been facing. One thing we do know with accuracy, he didn't get out of bed that morning and say to himself "today I commit suicide".

Glad you've survived 40 years Crab, I survived a paltry 38 of professional, and a goodly portion of that was for a muti national listed in the top ten where we were obliged to turn the other way when rules were mentioned. Life is not as simple as you like it to be.