PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medals expert
Thread: Medals expert
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 18:47
albatross

Received 155 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Nil_Drift
"he carried a home made squadron standard at the Queen's Birthday Parade in HK 1968".

I carried the 30 Sqn standard for the 75th anniversary of the RAF. I was shocked by the lack of a representative example when I was handed a broom handle with a shredded grey blanket dangling off a bolt so I set about making one for the Sqn.
I took photos of the front and rear of the standard then projected the pictures on to the correct size of cloth and traced all of the image using Dylon pens and then filled in the stencils with Dylon paint. My wife sewed the tassels all around and joined the front and back together. Workshops knocked up the correct length pole, nicely varnished.
Every parade rehearsal that we did for two weeks based at Swinderby for Marham, I had almost the real thing which certainly stood out from all the other broom handles and blankets.
When not in use, it hung in the entrance to the Sqn and lots of people commented that they had never known what the standard looked like as it was always hidden away. I wonder if it is still out there and being used by an officer associated with the Atlas A400M 30 Sqn. If so, this is how you got to have it in your possession. Please look after it, it took hours to create.
Well Done You!