PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Fatal Wirestrike
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 11:41
OvertHawk

Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts
I think the important aspect here is that we accept that we as pilots will make errors because we are human.

I thank Gordy for sharing his experience. I think everyone who is honest with themselves will have been in a situation at one time or another where we have (to use Crab's phrase) "failed to aviate properly". I know I have - because I'm human and I make mistakes.

But we have it in our power to use our judgment to reduce the chances of an error occurring and to reduce the severity of that error if it does occur.

This accident was not a wire strike per-se - It was CFIT in bad weather. That it happened that he hit a wire rather than another form of obstruction or terrain is irrelevant.

Yes we all make mistakes and we need to allow for that.

But we seem as an industry to be woefully unable to learn from the mistakes of others.

At what point do these things stop being mistakes and become recklessness or negligence?

As for being "a tough crowd"? I think we damn well should be a tough crowd to ourselves as an industry because these kind of "accidents" and near misses simply should not be happening anywhere near as frequently as they are.