PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 09:30
Navpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnderASouthernSky
Rumours are that LPL have recently benefitted from PPE charters arriving there because handlers at BHX are currently refusing to accept bulk-loaded cargo charters.

Reasons that destination airports for cargo charters are chosen (no particular order):

Customer preference - often proximity to end user, ground transport considerations
Price - fuel burn to airport, airport charges, handling & freight charges
Aircraft specific - aircraft category for runway, taxiway and stand compatability
Availability of handling - agents and equipment, time to get cargo available
Timings - Airports, handling and even customs/transit shed availability
Airline preference - regular destination for them, contracts in place already, line maintenance hotac/crew swap considerations, ability to pick up return flight

The customer will not always have the final say on the destination - they maybe persuaded that another airport is preferable... particularly if an extra few hours won't impact the goods and it may be cheaper to land further away from the end user
Many thanks for your sensible input.

i believe that Swissport do handle at BOU so yes it crossed my mind that if the consideration to the end user destination was not that critical the handler could say to their customer we have a better, cheaper and possibly quicker option even if that means additional trucking to the final destination.

My point stands however regarding the influence if any of MAG in the decision making.

I was just curious as to whether they would even be aware, that a request that came in to the handling agent potentially to use Manchester, subsequently ended up with the flight at Bournemouth based on a decion made by the handling agent and not the airport.

I can see the absolute sense in the handling agent making a decision that supports their own business, and their own interests but it seems odd to me from the outside that MAG might potentially be unaware of this and care even less despite being the epi centre on the Northern supply chain.

In addtion this only seems to work one way. It always seems to be traffic bound for Manchester which falls victim to the economies of scale of the handling agent. Are there ever occasions where enquiries made to other airports end up coming our way ?

Last edited by Navpi; 22nd Dec 2021 at 09:48.