PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pilot meeting, what a disgrace
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2003, 19:04
ekslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alien..... in response to your post, let me explain my current position.
X number of years ago, I identified EK as being a potential good employer. I had only heard positive news, was impressed with the "spin" that EK were spreading, so decided to take the plunge. I remember some of the old guard at my former employer trying to warn me off - but I new better !!
I left a secure job with a good pension and persuaded my wife to bite the bullet and uproot to a foreign land, half way around the world.
Initially, on the whole, things were fairly good. Not the best conditions, not the best pay, crap accommodation, but the sun shone and life was reasonable.
What impressed me most of all, was that pilots did not moan, after all, almost everyone had made the decision to come out here themselves. It took a little getting used to EK calling me on a day off (definately not allowed in my old company), but generally it was give and take (in the good old days of rostering). I stuck with the programme, got a reasonably quick command and got on with life. I now have 12,000 hours and nearly 3,000 in command, so what's the problem ?

Sorry, finger trouble....

I wished that I had listened to the old, wise pilots.

The current plan has been so well thought out, that we are now faced with DEC's being employed at rates above many of our present captains.
How do I get a payrise.....simple, resign then reapply as a DEC. So what does x years of seniority count for ....nothing !!
We have seen this with captains, are f/o's about to follow.....probably. All we need is bums on seats so if we need x pilots, go and hire them at todays rates and sod the present pilots who have shown dedication and loyalty as they are either bonded or cant leave quickly as they have gone to the trouble (and considerable expense) of relocating their families, have children at school etc. Anyway they are the lucky ones already working for this dynamic company, flying shiney new jets, with safe and secure jobs, that should be enough.
Unfortunately, unless the present situation changes, there is going to be a mass exodus from EK. The pay has slipped way behind the going rate, Dubai is a very expensive city to live in, our provident fund has taken a massive hit. To beable to enjoy any sort of comfortable retirement you can no longer plan on ending your flying career with EK - not unless you plan on retiring to the 3rd world !!

Would I give up a secure job to come here now - definately not.