PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Fatal Wirestrike
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 04:43
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
You're a tough crowd. Every human endeavor has its share of accidents, why should aviation be an exception? People err and at the end of the day we are left wondering why did s/he do that, at times the answer is elusive or unknowable.
Agreed, and some posters here just don't get it.... I cannot force you.

Originally Posted by megan
Gordy is a very experienced operator yet took out some wires, be interesting for his explanation to show how easily it can happen.
It was calm wind, good weather, good visibility, I knew the wire was in the area..... got complacent, lost situational awareness.... I was patrolling a different circuit at the time and was flying in the wire environment by choice.

PG&E did sponsor and pay for a video re-creation which forms part of the 8 hour class I teach. (Fun day---"Hey Gordy, we know you hit these wires but can you hover in front of them for 10 minutes while we film?".... Me: "Not a problem---not stressful at all"...said in a sarcastic voice). If you watched the USHST webinar 8 weeks ago you would have seen the video, they have yet to put it on their website. The video is proprietary therefore I cannot just post it, I will seek permission to post it here...give me a few days. Failing that, I am booked to present at the "Vertical Aviation Safety Conference" in Texas next year.

Here is a still from the video....me flying.... You see it?