PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RVAC 1966
Thread: RVAC 1966
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 03:09
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVAC 1960's

Ok, the ones in the vid are as follows;

10:01:42:17 Stan Tayler (note spelling is er)
10:01:50:24 Stan Tayler
10:02:13:11 (sim) Alan Craigie Clem Atkins
10:02:45:11 Bill Cambell-Hicks (on right leading way)
10:02:46:16 Alan Craigie Clem Atkins (note the chap behind Alan Clem with the tie on looks a lot like Roy Goon?? Can be seen also in the group walking to aircraft. Certainly walks like Roy)
!0:02:59:02 (climbing in rear Chippy seat) Alan Craigie. Clem Atkins
I like the Cherokee panel in amoungst the Chippy flying!!

John Bally was the CFI in 64 and left to join DCA in Bris I recall. He was replaced by Bill Cambpell-Hicks.
The manager of the club at that time was Laurie MacPherson who did my PPL test in Feb 65. He later left RVAC and went to RACNSW as Manager.
I did my formation endorsement with Roy Goon his CPL licence number was 511. For the record Avgas was cheaper than motor spirit at around 2/6 a gallon in 1965.

For the record, other instructors during the 64-67 period included: (pls excuse any spelling errors)
John Walmsley (went to Geralton to set up charter/flying school).
Brian Waldron,
Beth Garrett (went to RFDS CNS)
Barry? Adamson (Brian??)
Phil Astley
Dick Jackson (went to Victa)
Doug Whitbourne (went to Air Nauru)
Mark Vanes
Wally Bednar (went to EN with the Browns at Galaxy Flying School - then PNG)
Ian Carter
Brian Waldron
Neil O'Connor
Bluie Margetts (went to DRW as a school teacher)
Alan Cruikshank
Alan Shaw (went to TAA then ??)
John Lindsay and Barry Rick Tate were with Pipeair around the corner before the new clubhouse was built - both went to DCA
Gordon Howe & John Pilkington at Shutts - DMW a 172 was the first IFR trainer on the airfield. (Used to get reported as a lost VFR above the clouds around MNG)
Jock Garden was up at Civil with Peter Bini, John Sangunetti, Mal Latham, Peter Stone

Happy to be corrected or info updated. Some history there and some really good times before the security and charges killed GA...

Below is a promotional photo taken during the handover of some Piper aircraft from the piper dealer, which I recall was Bill Patterson.
I think the chaps on the left are the Club President Brian Hurley and Bill Oldfield (??) On the wing of RVV is CFI Bill Campbell-Hicks and his daughter Jann who worked in the ops room.
further back is Alan Craigie and back again is Neal O'Connor. The picture was taken 25 July 1966. Note, prior to the new clubhouse. My first flight in RVV was in Dec 66

25JUL65

Last edited by triadic; 24th Dec 2021 at 05:51. Reason: correction to names