PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Fatal Wirestrike
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 01:01
megan

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts
You're a tough crowd. Every human endevour has its share of accidents, why should aviation be an exception? People err and at the end of the day we are left wondering why did s/he do that, at times the answer is elusive or unknowable.

Gordy is a very experienced operator yet took out some wires, be interesting for his explanation to show how easily it can happen.

My wire story. One of two pilots working for a newly established operator and putting in more than permissible duty hours, Saturday was to be a day off, at dawn Saturday morning the phone rings, a four year old child has spent the night lost in the bush in freezing weather and can we do a search. Fly to the assigned area, heavily timbered mountainous country, weather CAVOK,high recce and plot the location of a very high voltage power line, then down to the tree tops hover taxiing using the rotor wash to blow the canopy apart so as to see forest floor. Proceeding along the bottom of a valley received a message the child had been found was and asked if I could land in a clear area located just up the hill from my present location. An emotionally charged moment as my child was of the same age. Flying a 206 on fixed floats, looking down through the chin bubble suddenly saw a wire come into view, looked up and the earth wire looked to be approaching at a height just under the rotor disc, a quick and measured drop of collective and we sailed underneath to come out unscathed, ground speed at the time no more than 5 knots. God does smile on the foolish at times. Completely forgotten about wires at the time despite the recce. Why? I can't give an answer, a psychologist might.