PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Fatal Wirestrike
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2021, 15:57
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
I have waited a few days before posting. Very sad accident and we will continue to have these types of accidents moving forwards. Some on here have made comments that I disagree with, but that is the beauty of the herd.

I teach "Flying in the Wire Environment" to one of the large power companies--every linemen who flies and every pilot on property, (70,000 Sq. Mile territory), goes through the class, and I have hit and survived a wire strike, so I "may" have some insight.

In my mind it comes down to CRM, be it multi-crew or single pilot.
  1. Communication either to ones self or flying partner as to the location and proximity of wires and hazards. Verbalize the hazard while flying.
  2. Situational Awareness, which covers systems, location, where are the wires in relation to you, fatigue, human factors etc including "continuation Bias
  3. Decision Making, choosing to fly in the wire environment or choosing to sit it out.
To those who have said he was stupid and cannot believe people would do this, I say it is human nature. Even in the companies where there is no pressure to fly, pilots still try........

I leave you with these words, and say RIP fellow pilot ...
"The readiness to blame a dead pilot for an accident is nauseating, but it has been the tendency ever since I can remember. What pilot has not been in positions where he was in danger and where perfect judgment would have advised against going? But when a man is caught in such a position he is judged only by his error and seldom given credit for the times he has extricated himself from worse situations. Worst of all, blame is heaped upon him by other pilots, all of whom have been in parallel situations themselves, but without being caught in them. If one took no chances, one would not fly at all. Safety lies in the judgment of the chances one takes."

— Charles Lindbergh, journal entry 26 August 1938

Last edited by Gordy; 21st Dec 2021 at 16:00. Reason: Spelling---clearly I am a pilot not a novelist.