PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on at the top??
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2021, 15:34
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy
I don't recall anyone here saying that Welsh people don't speak Welsh. What is being said is that it has been known for them to switch when they don't want to be understood.

Two other people on this thread appear to have said it happened to them/people they knew. And I will stick with it, thank you very much, because it has also happened to me.
You are far from alone in this respect given just about everybody who was at Valley in the 70's experienced this at some point and it's far from being an urban myth, at least during that period.

However, it's worth pointing out demographics and cultures change over time. This was very obvious when I used to deliver items for the NHS for a while and one of my runs took me to addresses in the heart of the island, previously almost exclusively inhabited by locals born and bred along with, quite naturally, speaking Welsh. And not forgetting the state of the housing.

Not any more. The changes were significant when you were in a position to make a direct comparison between then and now.