PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descents to VMC
Thread: Descents to VMC
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2021, 21:03
matelo99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If talking Helictopters, then I'd descend to SALT before requesting vectors to/procedural approach to overshoot VFR below the cloud. From my local unit I know their Safe Terrain Height is actually very high (Normally get a "responsible for own Terrain Clearance" either due to performance or sector that we are in). Depending on the tasking and location I would probably take a diversion as we aren't allowed to trust our GPS (When will we see the RNAV/PBN clearance?) Failing that head out to sea and descend down to 500' or a bit lower if you've got your own RADAR.

The problem with planning to stay at a units theoretical base of solid cover is that it changes so can't really be relied upon, if you have lumpy gorund then it's also going to vary depending on which sector you are in so makes planning difficult.

I've watched pilots try to descend using vectors from ATC and watched horrified as people have tried to squeeze out the last few feet below Safe Terrain Coverage or worse just get themselves into more of a pickle.