PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One eye pulsing with heartbeat.... a bit worried
Old 20th Dec 2021, 18:03
Hubblebubble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too

Hi All

New to this forum but thought I’d share my experience as it involves the pulsing issue.

A few weeks ago I noticed a pulsing in my left eye when heart rate was up and I was recovering. (I’m a 59 year old male distance athlete - swimmer/cyclist kind of thing). Saw my optician who said I had a very mild cataract but nothing serious.

Over the next couple of weeks the pulsing persisted and I experienced a shadow top left of my eye plus a floating black spot and light flashes.

I felt something was wrong and didn’t want to wait for a Covid delayed GP referral which would have taken weeks. So, last Friday, I took myself into Moorfields Eye Hospital in London (they have an emergency walk in department) and told them my symptoms. I got there at 0930 and by 1330 I was having emergency surgery for a ‘macular on detached retina’ (four words I never previously realised could be strung together in a sentence!).

It’s now Tuesday and I’m three days into recovery with an eye full of gas and a (hopefully) fixed retina. I’m ‘posturing’ on the left side which essentially means lying down for 5 days.

The gas bubble continues to pulse so we’ll see if it settles.

But a note to anyone experiencing these symptoms to go straight to eye emergency. Everyone was telling me how fortunate I have been to catch it early before the macular was detached.

Thanks to Moorfields - unbelievable service. I still can’t believe I was able to walk into one of the world’s finest eye hospitals and be operated on in hours… all, of course, on the NHS.

Stay eye healthy folks and anyone who’s had a similar op to me… please feel free to reassure me that my sight in the affected eye WILL return 😆.

Best

Hubblebubble