PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 LDG with Slats or flaps jammed
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2021, 13:35
Lantirn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by vilas
I agree that the procedure could have been written better.The word jammed doesn't exist in ECAM because Jam is the result of two causes and ECAM wants to suggest different procedures for them. So what ECAM uses is fault or locked. Fault is for SFCC problem and it asks you to recycle just like restarting your mobile if an app didn't work properly and may get rid of it and locked for hydraulic brake which is going to stay. QRH procedure uses the word jam because irrespective of the causes that's the final result and in both cases it's applicable for conducting the approach.
Hi Vilas, glad you replied to my concerns, I have been reading your very informative posts for years and i find them very enlightening.
If they wanted to make it simple, they could just have 2 cases in QRH. If flaps locked >0, do not change configuration for diversion. At all other cases, retract for diversion. While they can explain beforehand in a note above that in a G/A you dont change config no matter what. Its that simple and very basic!

Max speed is decided by the VFE of the most extended surface for whatever you want do, either a goaround or diversion -10kts. Obviously whenever a surface position changes max speed will change.
My point was if you had it on final, unexpected and you wanted to G/A. But me rethinking it, you just stay below VFE for the G/A and you are ok to go. As you said confusion arises sometimes on non-standard configurations mainly due to the fact that you are going to configure for flap3 as your flaps or slats is locked (or fault) on a non-standard configuration for landing. Good point.

As far as overspeed is concerned in goaround is SRS is managed speed mode that targets GA engagement speed so no fear of exceedance. When SRS changes to no matter to what it will accelerate so need to fly in select max speed.
True and correct, but again imagine the failure to appear just below 1500ft AGL, you pull the speed to maintain config, then you hit TOGA for G/A and managed speed goes up 5-6 secs later after passing 1500 for clean up and you get it unnoticed. You had just announced your FMA, and 5 secs later...Yes, FLY NAV COM, triple clicks will happen, but performance on the sim can be less than optimal when dealing with other issues and especially if this was an approach to land while you had finished other abnormals! Capacity will not be that high and the same as you departed! But what to do, this is automation today. We have to deal.

As regards call-out whenever a nonstandard activity will be performed like maintaining configuration or not retracting gear it needs to be briefed and a call out is devices e.g. GA maintain flaps or gear. The max speed table adds to the confusion by giving some combinations which are not possible like Slat1 and Flap3. It's better to calculate from VFE speeds given above ISIS panel.
True, but again if the failure appears on the approach, the crew will not expect that and how you can brief for an unexpected failure. You cant brief in every approach that if the flaps/slats are stuck we will maintain our config! Thats why I believe this procedure has to be more clear (at least in FCTM) and accomodate for a callout.

Going one step further, an aircraft without failures, is on final on flaps1 and ATC instructs for a G/A. Oh man. 50% of the population will say maintain config. 50% will say retract one step, as per standard callout. I had a very close friend called by our safety department that the maneuver was not done according SOPs because he maintained config. Because the standard callout is "G/A FLAPS". Yeah, sure. Because nowhere is written that its not required. G/A configuration is for climb gradient performance and with flap 1 its there and more than enough. Especially airbus that allows flight below maneuvering speeds and above vls, should have accomodated for that. No callout or description, a mess, a hole for misjudgement. Selected speed 160, flaps 1, then you G/A, you retract one step, alpha lock engages, yeah, no issue. Then deal with the safety.

Last edited by Lantirn; 20th Dec 2021 at 13:47.