PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus + Cathay working on Single Pilot during Cruise with A350
Old 20th Dec 2021, 06:43
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FMS82
I guess it won't be very different from explaining to the families of the Ethiopian and Lion Air crash victims why a ****ty patch flight control design for a warmed over 1960's aircraft design is the cause of their loved one's death.

But again, we digress into fully autonomous flight. I'm also unsure if that's the inevitable end game, but should it happen, I have very few issues boarding such a plane in the future. Where I live, airlines train their crews based on rote memorization, combined with a rather toxic unjust safety culture. People like to think the likes of China Airlines and Korean made huge improvements in CRM. I firmly believe that their improved safety record is mainly linked to the introduction of more dependable automation in their respective fleets. More of that please...

I'll see myself out
I am in agreement with you. All the objections raised to autonomous flights assume that humans in front make the safest flight which is far from the truth. I said it before many fully serviceable aircraft are crashed in perfectly fine weather due to pilot error and to make matters worse this word is frowned upon and some human factor is flashed to close the chapter. I have repeatedly said that human factor is the worst advertisement for human presence in the cockpit. Many incidents it's used to cover up poor acts of Piloting. So if humans can't be changed then can they be replaced is a logical thought. Accidents happen with humans in front, they will happen without them in front but as long as the frequency is less and makes flights significantly cheaper it will be accepted.