PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into the yellow band (Min. Manouvering Speed)
Old 19th Dec 2021, 11:03
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
Learn from it.
At my employer that would have been a “SPEED” call out before you even got to yellow.
In any case (mostly) unnecessary.
Descending clean in FLCH, were you speed restricted by ATC? Why not increase the speed by 20-30kts for an increased descent then pull the spoilers?
Speed callouts have their place indeed and I have nothing against that, on the contrary, it improves awareness when this might happen "unexpected". But the question is: is it forbidden? It is totally not. All of this IS explained in Boeing manuals, so I don't understand the "forbidden" reaction of pilots.

It's funny to notice that ie for a B737, in case of engine failure on takeoff, nobody makes a problem of limiting the bank angle to 15° when flying 400ft above the ground. All this while the background idea is the exactly same: assuring you stay within a safe maneuver capability. Yet in cruise we're going to go callouts and state "that's not allowed"?

It is allowed by Boeing, as long as you limit bank angle appropriatly. I think understanding what is happening is much more important than bluntly calling out and creating an athmosphere in which somebody apparently did something wrong. Because he didn't really do that...

Last edited by BraceBrace; 19th Dec 2021 at 12:52.