PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS saves the day again - or not...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2003, 13:00
Blastoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woah there!

Hotdog and 404 Titan,

Go ahead, shoot me down. I was not trying to explain the midair at Uberlingen (which, if you have read any reports into the disaster, was the culmination of a lot of unfortunate circumstances - but as the Reason model will show us these things will eventually line up.)

Merely I was trying to present anecdotal evidence of known situations where TCAS software can fail. Clearly as ones so reliant on it for day to day separation, you do not want to believe that there could be anything wrong with the software. However, as you say, you are solely reliant on your TCAS RA and the other pilot (i) following their TCAS RA or (ii) using their transponder with (correct) mode C. I guess when it comes down to it you can't fly the intruder aircraft as well as your own

As for
Blastoid, there is obviously no point in arguing with you on this subject as you will not concede that your opinion is faulty
see above but I was not blaming Uberlingen on a TCAS fault.

I just hope that I’m not flying in the same airspace as you if god for bid I got an RA because I now know you would probably cause an accident that could otherwise be avoided
Did I say I wouldn't follow an RA? Where do you find the evidence to make a comment like that?

DirectAnywhere,
the fact is we shouldn't HAVE to rely on TCAS in Class E but guess what(?) it's the best we've got
Damn right, how TCAS got designed into the airspace model is a disgrace. Don't tell me "see and avoid" isn't infallible? If you're not happy with the new system, tell someone about it.