PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay due to Operational Reasons
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2021, 14:04
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I delayed a flt once due to thick fog at the destination which would eventually clear later in the morning but no point in flying the hold and then diverting back as it would take ages to clear. Much better to sit on the ground, have a proper breakfast and then, when the destination starts to clear, head off. I personally briefed the Pax in the Departure Lounge but, as I did, another Companies aircraft taxied out to the same destination. A rather irate businessman accosted me in front of everyone and loudly demanded that, if they were going, why weren't we? In the end I said (politely but firmly in front of the now, audience) that, if he wished to Charter the aircraft privately, I'd happily take him to see the fog and that, no, we were going nowhere until I, as Capt, was happy. Much grumping from said businessman!

Anyway, after quite a while, things finally started to brighten up at the destination so back to let the Pax know the good news. As I did so the other aircraft reappeared. Businessman once again loudly pointed out the fact that they had gone and were now back - so I explained to all the Pax that the aircraft was simply returning for more fuel (and a Pax leg stretch!) having flown round and round and round in circles over the destination for about an hour and that the same Pax were still on that aircraft. Off we went and, sure enough, as we approached the fog lifted and in we went off the first approach. As the businessman de-planed he stopped and sheepishly apologised and said that my suggestion that we stayed on the ground was, by far, the more civilised one and that he'd "listen to the experts in the future!". Seemed he'd even phoned the other Airline to verify my story of them not getting in!