PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suitable airport definition
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2021, 13:31
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Styla
That's the reason why a definition has to exist. Idk if you fly airbus or not so I'll explain in general terms: certain failures are marked by ecam as time critical (LAND ASAP in red), and some are not time critical (LAND ASAP in amber), but require a diversion. In a time critical scenario you're instructed to land at the nearest airport where a safe landing can be achieved. Non time critical advises you to consider landing at the nearest suitable aerodrome. That's what's written in the airbus fctm.
In our om b they decided to add to that:
RED LAND ASAPLand as soon as possible at the nearest SUITABLE airport at which a safe approach and landing can be made.

AMBER LAND ASAPAdvise to the flight crew to consider landing at the nearest suitable airport.

So what I take from it is that regardless of my failure I have to chose a suitable airport i.e. an airport with weather above published minima. Which obviously cannot be the case. So either the definition for a suitable airport is different or its a mistake in the company manual.
No I’m a Boeing driver lol.
Land ASAP RED - airport suitable for the plane, we’re landing NOW.
Land ASAP AMBER - airport suitable for plane, pax, cargo, maintenance, contact dispatch for guidance. Means we’re not going to our planned destination.