PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - skype.com
Thread: skype.com
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2003, 11:06
Capt Snooze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoroughly recommend it!

Currently using it out of a hotel in China to a private home in Austalia. It has better quality sound than Callserve. (Not knocking Callserve, which provides an exellent PC to Phone service, at low cost). It is extremely easy to setup, and works 'out of the box'.

The only problems I have had have been occasional signal quality degredation, and once a 'dropout'. I suspect this relates to the quality of the hotel's internet connection, which is sometimes 'patchy', plus the fact that I am pushing the bandwidth a little with a simultaneous video link via MSN Messenger. (grin) I am able to improve this by simply hanging up and reconnecting, sometimes several times. I always, ultimately, get my good connection back. Since the service is free, I don't see this (reconnection) as a problem. Interestingly, MSN Messenger's audio link will not work through the hotel's firewall. Skype has no problem.

I too was sceptical when I first read the website, but cannot speak highly enough of the product now.

Two qualifications:
Firstly, I have broadband both ends, although the authors claim it will work over 33.3 dialup. I have used it successfully with dialup at one end. Haven't tried it with both ends on dialup.
Secondly, it needs XP at both ends according to the website.

Good luck with it,

Snooze