PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ADs re 5G interference
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 16:01
Sallyann1234

Received 346 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by hoistop
So, if a Telecom needs to put 5G tower under approach path, they are free to do it, and FAA will merely tell everybody that from the date of installation, CAT I / II / III is effectively not available at this airport anymore. I always thought that such action (interfering with A/C navigation equipment) is something that terrorists would do, but now this is perfectly legal ??!! World going insane.
The national radio regulator can impose whatever conditions it sees fit on the cellular operator's licenced operations in order to protect other services. So it could in theory say that there will be no 5G operation with x km of every airport.
Naturally the operators will resist this strongly as it would create holes in their service coverage (and airports are major concentrations of mobile radio use.)
I'm not party to internal US affairs but this would seem to be an issue between FCC and FAA, each being subject to different political pressures.

But again this is an international issue and other countries may treat it differently, within the International Radio Regulations to which each country subscribes.

Last edited by Sallyann1234; 14th Dec 2021 at 16:14.