PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suitable airport definition
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 14:53
Styla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
Just taking a stab in the dark here:
Suitable would vary with conditions and non-normal requirements eg pax facilities, instrument approaches, fire cover etc etc etc.
Stupid example:
Non towered airport with 12,000 runway and no terminal or air stairs that fit your aircraft.
Yes, suitable for “we need to get on the ground NOW” followed by evac by slide.
No, not suitable for a weather deviation ‘suitable airport’.
That's the reason why a definition has to exist. Idk if you fly airbus or not so I'll explain in general terms: certain failures are marked by ecam as time critical (LAND ASAP in red), and some are not time critical (LAND ASAP in amber), but require a diversion. In a time critical scenario you're instructed to land at the nearest airport where a safe landing can be achieved. Non time critical advises you to consider landing at the nearest suitable aerodrome. That's what's written in the airbus fctm.
In our om b they decided to add to that:
RED LAND ASAPLand as soon as possible at the nearest SUITABLE airport at which a safe approach and landing can be made.

AMBER LAND ASAPAdvise to the flight crew to consider landing at the nearest suitable airport.

So what I take from it is that regardless of my failure I have to chose a suitable airport i.e. an airport with weather above published minima. Which obviously cannot be the case. So either the definition for a suitable airport is different or its a mistake in the company manual.