PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pilot meeting, what a disgrace
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2003, 08:55
Alien 433 ETAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there boys!

Totally agree with Canuck767 and eager to learn more...

I am a pilot who has been considering a job at Emirates for a while now.

I actually applied last march, have been sitting in the holding pool for over 8 months now. I actually am very serious about coming to Dubai (or at least was until reading through the numerous threads on this forum). I didn't see the concept of hiring DECs with a good eye when I became aware of it recently (like the day after the info was put on the Emirates website) for obvious reasons... although I understand fully the reasonning behind the idea => comes with being Fastest growing airline in the world... It means they won't be calling or e-mailling me for a while longer either as well... or at least I thought!

I fly for AC and sit 1/3 of the way from the bottom on the seniority list and until that event (hiring of DECs), I had no problem whatsoever with the idea of quitting AC for a job opportunity with world class EK since the career perspective has been very appealing to us. My wife is also excited about moving to this part of the world should we be given a chance to join the ranks. We have been doing our homework for 8 months now and we are still quite ready to go through the process (should we be given the opportunity).

I am more than OK with doing my time at EK before a left seat upgrade and do my classes and learn the culture of the airline and the route structure.

However, I'm still debating...

....not so sure anymore it would be a fair idea to give away my current seniority number to commit myself (all the way) to a future employer who would not commit on giving me a reasonnable career progression guaranty...

Some of my fellow pilots at AC have had interviews with EK but it seems most are not willing to go (quit AC) at this time other than on a LOA (leave of abscense) maybe, even with AC's dire financial situation.

Feels like I should be hired on a contract and send my resignation in [to my current employer from a LOA] when checked out on the line as a captain with EK... It might just be a good question for the interview board... I don't know. That would probably destroy my chances as well! I sure know it would bug everybody who had to quit a job to go to EK and take the plunge in the unknown.

As a note, I had enough command jet time for a fast track upgrade (according to the hours minimums posted on EK website) before they changed the numbers recently. Now I don't qualify anymore... Again, with (what used to be) normal progression, it is not a show stopper for me.

Still, I'd like to know, like my pal Canuck767, what I'm getting into if I am to get into it... Time will tell as for everything in life!

Is Emirates likely to adjust to this situation in a manner that would satisfy the troops who built the airline?

I thought the morale was extremely low at AC. Never anticipated a morale problem with EK. Is there one? or is it just venting from a few EK pilots.

Waiting for your thoughts EK lads.

Cheers! Alien