PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay due to Operational Reasons
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 13:26
Uplinker

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts
I am sure we have all stopped at the back of a queue of traffic that we cannot see the reason for and waited for a while, thinking oh well, it will move in a minute. I am happy to wait without knowing the reason, but after maybe 5 or 10 mins with no movement, I suddenly go "what the hell is going on"; I sometimes get out of the car to try to see the reason for the hold-up. It might be a lorry reversing into a tight gateway or whatever, and when I can see or know the reason, I relax and accept the delay. (Or turn around and try to find a way around the obstruction).

Problem with a tech aircraft is that even the engineers cannot always predict how long a fault will take to fix. If a wheel or brake pack needs changing, that will be 30 mins or so, (and normally won't delay the flight), but if there is a computer fault or hydraulic fault, say, they won't always know until they are well into fixing it.

In my first career as a (non aircraft) engineer, it was a pain when people kept asking how long something would take to fix, and sometimes you wanted to say "if you stop asking me questions and go away, I will get it done a lot quicker than if you hang around getting in my way and bugging me".

None of which helps the OP. You might be happy to know exactly what has gone wrong, but some might be nervous to know if there is a fault with the flight controls or engine(s), And most will have no clue and be none the wiser if, say, an ELAC or an ADIRS is faulty.

Perhaps passengers should be told what the technical fault is, or it's a de-icing problem, or the baggage truck has just driven into the side of an engine or whatever? I used to apologise on the PA if I did a heavy landing - it's only polite - but it was pointed out to me that some people might try to claim compensation; having been told of a pilot's mistake, so that was quashed.