PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement
Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 05:53
Post Flight

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by srjumbo747
In the vain hope that the Moderators do not delete or move this post and in the hope that those who are retiring will think about it, here’s my thoughts as a middle aged, average pilot.

In the last few months my company has had a few senior guys retiring and they’ve gone with nothing said.

They have remained flying throughout the pandemic, being at the top of the seniority list, whilst others have lost their jobs. They could have retired but didn’t.

Their own conscience will have to deal with this for years to come as they, in their 40’s, thought they were retiring at 60 so they’ve had an extra five years.

My main point is that they have left without a word!

In most companies there is a ‘public’ forum for staff and there are other ‘outlets’ available yet these retirees are leaving without a word being spoken about how terrible the job has become in a short space of time.

I hope this post sparks a lively debate because the current retirees have really enjoyed their careers and are now leaving to let the younger guys get on with it.

Selfish? Hopefully the moderators will let you decide.

If you had put it in the most suitable Forum to start with, there would have been no need to move this thread.

But you didn't, and I have 🙈

Senior Pilot
I'm not sure what to make of your post 747. What is it you are distressed over: the retirees saying nothing as they left or the retirees staying past age 60 to the legal age of 65? To the fact of them leaving you to carry on; what could be better? Perhaps you should state what would make you satisfied with your more senior comrades.

At AA after 09/11/2001 there was seniority list contraction. Shortly after that, President George Bush Jr. and the U.S. Congress changed the mandatory commercial pilot retirement age to 65. The whole seniority progression picture changed and many were happy and many were pissed. Most age less than 60 were pissed until they turned age 60. Most age more than 60 were happy until they turned age 65. All very elementary and understandable in terms of human nature and rolling with changes.

I was hired early 1990 and retired 2015 at age 60, ready to press on with retirement and a good life. I did not retire to be altruistic or as a favor to those junior. One day you will understand but on this day you display your naiveté.

Regards for a good career and take note of the many constructive posts here.