PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta A109
Thread: Agusta A109
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2003, 08:15
Helipolarbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

JE----Thats 40' coupled on the ILS!
The A109E is a terrific machine for high speed handling & SPIFR.
It is very solid in Cb build up, coupled or hands on.
The AP doesn't kick off with mild yaw excursions like the B430!
If you choose your Alt/temp conditions well in the IFR cruise you'll get better than published burn rates. I've had 4 hours endurance based on Fuel Flow indications.
It has teething problems like all machines that are relatively new, but is great value for what it does!
On the other hand, in the Police roll it is not the best in the low speed area. T/R authority is lacking with too much Tq change for quick input demand. Response is expectantly normal, but not riveting and dynamic like the
135 or 902's.
I'd say this Welsh deal is probably driven based on the amount of spin and discount given in the sale. Consider who is involved.
Unless they intend doing lots of IFR in the Police roll (Can't, imagine the cops have a need for that---very little community contribution), I think time will show them their expensive decision will be alot more than they had planned or were told.

If the Power isn't cruising at the high end of the Tq band, (as it was designed to do) it will have all sorts of problems, and yep, Trans P & T will be one. Engine opr temps on the number 1 particularly, will get the pilots attention. If they are constantly operating in a wet and humid/sea area ( most of Wales)..watch the corrosion costs spiral. The DAU's ( Data Aquisition Unit ) have problems too, outboard Dampner bearings, ECS, Landing gear and a lot of non-warranted (after 1 year) items................. other than that...it's a great and comfortable corporate cruise ship for short CEO's and little people! With a small fortune to spend!
But, hey, they get to go to their destination faster than most!!!
What you see is what you get. A very quick, powerful speed demon! But nothing else...certainly not utility....someone mentioned the original design was for the mil....HELLO?....What the Belgium's....they had to be bribed to buy it!!!! Even a 20 year old AH-1S would smoke the A109 in gunnery and versatilty on the battle field! Utility it is not...and I have a good idea about them....flew the UH-60 for a long time.....now thats UTILITY!
And it looks good too!!!! Fun to fly for pilots who want to FLY!
Not for cops chasing ground or surveillance! Bad choice Dudes!

Last edited by Helipolarbear; 23rd Dec 2003 at 08:32.