PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pudniks and CASA [2021/5950]
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 03:13
skinduptruk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
If a body is 'out of control' it can be dealt with. CASA just repeals its status as a sport aviation body for the purposes of the aviation rules. It's actually CASA's job to keep them under control.
3000x PG pilots would be grounded if CASA were to suspend SAFA operations. Enough to annoy the Minister perhaps…

CASA stated they do not interfere when SAFA acts unlawfully. Hence my “dispute” with SAFA.

The icing on the cake was when CASA said due to my dispute with SAFA, CASA refused to review my P149 paperwork (see what CASA did there - how cute). That was a bridge too far. So I took CASA to the AAT for a review of that particular decision.

PS. To pass the time, I have asked CASA freedom of information (FOI) for a copy of all PG accident reports (or accident investigation reports) that SAFA provides to CASA. The initial CASA reply has been to suggest that CASA does not hold such data. If true, then SAFA really is left to run things without oversight. The FOI officer hinted that if I were to persist with requests for safety reports, my request could be deemed vexatious. My reply was that I would enjoy a situation where CASA tried to justify denying access to basic safety reports. So it seems the adversarial CASA culture goes all the way to the core, even for basic safety report matters. I remain hopeful the new CEO can address the current CASA culture problems.

PPS. Currently only RAAus + APF are P149 ASAOs (and maybe the gliders too). I note an ABC news item about a review of parachute operations. Here is most of the link: Husband whose wife died in Mission Beach skydiving accident launches legal action - ABC News. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-0...eath/100447064