PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ADs re 5G interference
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2021, 21:31
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add perhaps some significance to one of the above posts, Jeff Shane is General Counsel of IATA - in the realms of public and private international air law, positions for attorneys working as lawyers don't get any more significant than that. (Correction: Mr. Shane retired as GC summer 2020 - but still.)

Here's the link to the agenda for the PNTAB meeting recently, in case it might be of interest.
GPS.gov: 25th Meeting of the National Space-Based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Advisory Board - December 2021

(Also, in my previous post, I was somewhat tentative in arguing that the FAA had stepped into what it saw as a kind of power vacuum. It appeared that the cellular providers had been able to out-lobby, out-money, and out-influence the voices of and advocates for integrity of the aviation safety ecosystem. And that with the start of this White House administration, its Secretary of Transportation - lacking as he does any operational experience or insight with regard to aviation operations or safety, or big-league interest infighting in Washington (despite his other fine qualities) - had emerged as a . . . . bystander. So rather than cede the playing field to the cellular providers, and knowing that the current DoT leader isn't a heavy-hitter like Liddy Dole or Elaine Chao, FAA took the bull by the horns. I think, with the explanation of just how bad the risks to operational aviation safety really are (THANK you fdr and others), this power-match map looks even more accurately drawn.)

With U.S. Permanent Rep to ICAO Council, Ambassador Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger having now been sworn in to his office, maybe something different can take shape. Hope springs eternal.

Last edited by WillowRun 6-3; 13th Dec 2021 at 21:35. Reason: Correction noted