Thread: UK F-35B Lost
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2021, 14:20
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

Good poop, Buster. Thanks.

Only bad FOD I ever had was a chunk of ice that had built up in the intake and the end-of-rwy troops didn't see it. Ingested just after gear came up. Being a P&W F100 turbofan the chunk was diced and sliced, then mostly went thru the bypass ducting. Was in a Viper, so sucker struck the fan blades right under my seat, so it was very apparent something was awry. Secondly, when I retarded throttle I "felt" a vibration, so came back pronto for a heavyweight landing without touching the throttle again until rolling out. Had about 60 to 70 big compressor blades on first two stages missing chunks or severely bent. I don't know how much the damage reduced my power, but I had "enough" and did not tempt fate.

Can't imagine getting the F-35B off the deck without max specified power and some wind over the deck. And BTW, seems the USN did a "cold cat" test for their Cee model. Prolly find something over on the F-16 dot net F-35 forums.

Gums sends...
Sounds like good airmanship on your behalf.
I guess that you were in reheat on t/o and then cancelled reheat.
The F100 is a pretty sturdy engine.
I was used to working on military twin engine jets. For example, on Tornado, the FRC's said something like - in the event of an engine mechanical failure on take off, leave the engine throttle at its power setting and climb to safe height. Then throttle back to a safe setting and land as soon as possible.
Much like the F100, the RB199 was a (high) bypass engine and was pretty good at sending FOD down the bypass duct.
But hard body FOD did sometimes go into the small IP and even smaller HP compressor. And then you were in trouble.
NB. Never a pilot. Only an engineer by the way.