PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aw139 IFR skill test/prof check
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2021, 10:52
Non-PC Plod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aw139 IFR skill test/prof check

I recently had an answer to a problem which has been troubling me for a number of years as a TRE, which I wanted to share with the community as I expect ( and hope) it will receive some interest.
The problem was: how do you conduct the parts of an IFR skill test/ proficiency check which include mandatory simulated OEI under EASA and FAA rules ( ie- a precison approach & missed approach procedure) in a real helicopter? ( this problem does not arise in FFS). Because.....according to Leonardo ( including discussion with the programme test pilots) you can neither put one engine to idle nor can you use the OEI training switch for this purpose. The OEI trg switch is only mentioned in the OEI training part of the Cat A supplement, and is not intended or flight tested for use for example in a climb to 3000 ft as part of a published MAP. So....I am guessing a great number of checks over the past 15 years or so have been non-compliant, either with the authority's requirements, or with the manufacturers intentions.
The answer I have been given is that for this exercise, the instructor/examiner needs to physically restrict the movement of the collective to simulate the max PI available under 2.5 min or Max continuous power. There seems to be few other options, but I am concerned there is a danger that this will focus the examiner's attention on the PI at a time when he has other things to look at ( outside for example if the check is simulated IMC).
I thought I should share this, because I am not sure that this is widely understood, and this is info which the wider community needs to know.