PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk IV
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2021, 07:28
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a sinking feeling that the Kensal Green Gasometer would do for me. Well done Asturias very quick off the mark. Chevvron - you were initially quite warm but then you chose to visit The Continent which is understandable. I must be quite honest and state that I had no idea that there had been an aerodrome of sorts at Wormwood Scrubs Circa 1910 - 1919. A few snapshots to finish off with.

Claude Grahame-White's repaired Farman Biplane at Wormwood Scrubs 27 April 1910. In the previous image the wind damaged Farman is seen in the shed at Wormwood Scrubs following White's failed attempt on the 23rd April 1910 to win the Daily Mail prize for the first flight London-Manchester within a time of 24 hours. Photo credit Airshipsonline.

The caption to this image taken from a magazine at the time states that the Farman was being pushed back to the shed because of the obstruction of the crowds gathered to see White's second attempt on 27th April 1910. Unfavourable winds were also a factor in delaying his take-off from Wormwood Scrubs until the late afternoon.

More here:Those Magnificent Men | The London to Manchester Race of 1910

The Clement Bayard Airship No 2 which flew from near Paris to Wormwood Scrubs on the 16th October 1910. The first crossing of The English Channel by an Airship.

The Welsh Ballonist Ernest Willows flying the Willows 3 airship ascends from Wormwood Scrubs on the afternoon of 4th November 1910, he alighted near Douai , northern France in the early hours of the following morning - the first crossing of The Channel by airship from England to France.

Now RNAS Wormwood Scrubs with the experimental military Beta 2. Photo credit airshipsonline.

Naval airships were assembled and flown at Wormwood Scrubs.

Submarine Scout SS39 was assembled at Wormwood Scrubs during August 1916. En-route to RNAS Cranwell on 15th November 1916 it suffered an uncontrolled descent (leaking valve) onto the village of Thurlby, Lincs. The crew which included the CO of Wormwood Scrubs were unhurt. Photo credit Cranwell Aviation Heritage Museum.

Over to you - Asturias.

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 10th Dec 2021 at 11:13.