PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-31 lost due to mis-installed trim tabs
Old 9th Dec 2021, 13:51
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
The prevailing design requirement says:

But, that doesn't prevent it happening.

In addition to confirming the correct direction of motion of each flight control following any maintenance, it's also important to confirm the correct range of motion (travel stops and freedom). I've had a few post maintenance (and radio installation) planes where full control travel was not available - obstruction behind the panel. I also test flew a C 206 once (which I'd flown lots prior to the maintenance) with a serious mis rig. The elevator trim tab moved the correct direction, which I visually confirmed myself before flying. But, its travel stop limits had been reversed. Being as they are 5 and 25 degrees, I had 4 degrees where I should have had 25 degrees, and the nose up control force was barely manageable for a terrifying circuit. The maintenance manual for that 206 was somewhat ambiguous, later Cessna service manuals for the 206 are very bold about this, as I know I'm not the only pilot to blunder into this very unsafe condition.

So, if you're doing the first flight post maintenance, you would like the maintenance staff to demonstrate to you that the control and trim tab travels are all as per the type certificate data sheet specifications. If you're not sure, keep asking until you are, this is not complicated stuff!
One need simply to place the elevator tab to the takeoff position at the beginning of the pre-flight when you are doing the cockpit checks, and then observe its proper position when checking the elevator area.

It should be in the normal, near neutral position. Then it need no longer be touched before takeoff and the aircraft should initially handle fine upon getting airborne.

More detail of the flight would be welcome and if there were any unusual indications that you noticed prior to takeoff, such as trim indications when checking the trim wheel on the ground, as well, how the trim forces came to be as the flight progressed, the effects of flaps and power, etc.