PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lycoming O-360 Shut-down techniques
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2021, 00:15
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Very aware of the modern EFI/FCU and all that jazz, was just trying to keep it simple from old tech to new, as there was no mention of type. It does get complicated around newer stuff depending on what 'off' does specifically in your system. An old system was just isolating magnetos and that was that, a new system 'off' disengages a variety of things more like a car. The mixture ICO was more for when the systems were completely separate and new systems you have to dig deep to find out what does what when, best just to follow the POH in that regard unless you are prepared to really understand it (which any aircraft owner should to save money and down time).

And yeah any prop should be treated as live. I remember first flying turbo props and have little hairs stand on the back of my neck every time I was rotating the props for damage inspection with the respect ingrained in me from piston flying.

I remember one instructor many years ago was pulling an aircraft forward via the prop from a parked position to avoid blasting into a hangar on start. Started pulling then realised he didn't have the keys, so asked the student via hand signal with a key twisting motion to ask where they were, student took it as 'give it a whirl' and engaged start with his hand still resting on the prop. Instructor had a fat purple fist for a couple of weeks post event, best possible outcome considering he could have easily lost the hand completely.

PS I would like to know if there are any modern types that do have POH shut down methods of simply turning off the key.

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Dec 2021 at 00:30.