PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK F-35B Lost
Thread: UK F-35B Lost
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2021, 00:21
Cat Techie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NutLoose
First off to your earlier query I just read, when did I last run a gas turbine, probably several months ago, when did I last run an aircraft, several this month, type ratings about 300 types and engines, also C certifying and last issuance, 3 ARCS this month as a CAMO (Nov).

As for engine indications of an imminent failure, from experience of an IGV failure on an engine reported as slow to accelerate, none or milliseconds before it all let loose and the turbine departed rearwards, First indication aircraft shaking so much you couldn’t see the instruments in front of you, followed by fire warnings, unresponsive to throttle movement and only stopped when the fuel was chopped. Every case is different.

Any update on the recovery now it’s been located?

300 type ratings? One only gets to be a master of a type with time on it (and read the AMM). Currency is everything as well as most people do not remember much about a type if not working on it, so you can work out my thoughts on that statement. I struggle to remember the turboprop I worked on last 4 years ago. Because I don't work on it.

Most engine blade off failures end up with the the sypmtoms you describe. Seen birdstrikes on Turbofans. Fan may survive, Stators and compresser stages behind did not.