PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2021, 09:28
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Ultimately Russia would like a land corridor to the Crimea."
I think ultimately they'd like a land corridor to Calais
I'm really ciritcal towards their aggressive behaviour against Ukraine and the Baltics. But I'm very sure they are not aiming at claiming back Poland or other former Warsaw Pact states.
That said they are for sure interested in the former scope of the USSR as their target sphere of influence. The really explosive part in that regard are the Baltics. A Land corridor to Kaliningrad would mean occupying NATO territory and would be a complete No- Go. And this has to be absolutely clear and un- misunderstandable. A true Red Line. I support bringing in massive troops, Drones and Fighters to demonstrate the readiness to support this.
WRT to Ukraine for me the story is different. I heavily support massive sanctions in case of Russian Aggression. Provision of defensive armament (Stinger, Javelin&Co) to Ukraine. But no direct NATO troop involvement.
Red Lines have to be Red Lines. Invading NATO territory is a Red Line. Full stop. This shouldn't be watered down by semi- red lines for Non- NATO states which in the end are not kept. This opens up room for interpretation regarding the true Red Lines.