PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PT6 Starting question
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2021, 22:53
SLFMS

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
It’s been a while, but I think that procedure brings risks. With the idle stop open you don’t know if you opened the throttle passed it. If you have and get a hot start, Murthy’s law dictates that the stop will close as you try and close the throttle, and attempts to release the stop will fail because you’re jamming it still trying to close the throttle! If you learn to feel the pressure of the cam, you will always know you have not passed it and can immediately snap the throttle closed. I’ve had hot starts and you need to be quick! Some weren’t ‘real’ though and were due to faulty ITT compensators.

The company SOP is to roll throttle open at 12%n1 close to the detent activate idle stop and roll throttle just behind the gate. Modulation normally not required unless the engine is hot. I understand this practise is widespread. The company I work for would be in the 6 digits of hours operating 412s so have a bit of an idea on how to do so.
It could of course be argued that it’s not the flight manual procedure exactly but if I get a hot start following SOPs I’ll still be employed.
Incidentally I like this process as it gives an exact throttle position every time including on different airframes and you are always behind the gate closing not opening the throttle. I will say however it is a little awkward until you are used to it.