PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK F-35B Lost
Thread: UK F-35B Lost
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2021, 21:46
NutLoose

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Techie
The FADEC also had a slight problem in this case. P2 / P3 / P6 / N2 /T6 were all going out of normal parameters with an enging that would have been seeing its compresser and turbine stages rapidly chewing themselves up on parts of itself and a rogue intake blank. While myself and a colleague were waiting to ground run a small regional airliner today, we discused the accident in question and realised that an F35B was 7000 Kgs more than our airliners MTOM. Our highly effective brakes on 4 wheels wouldn't stop our aircraft from the distance from engine failure to end of deck at the same speed. The F35B brakes certainly could not.

First off to your earlier query I just read, when did I last run a gas turbine, probably several months ago, when did I last run an aircraft, several this month, type ratings about 300 types and engines, also C certifying and last issuance, 3 ARCS this month as a CAMO (Nov).

As for engine indications of an imminent failure, from experience of an IGV failure on an engine reported as slow to accelerate, none or milliseconds before it all let loose and the turbine departed rearwards, First indication aircraft shaking so much you couldn’t see the instruments in front of you, followed by fire warnings, unresponsive to throttle movement and only stopped when the fuel was chopped. Every case is different.

Any update on the recovery now it’s been located?