PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lycoming O-360 Shut-down techniques
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2021, 04:36
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Again pre take-off checks are just that, to set the aircraft up for take-off. You change any of the critical settings after you have run those checks/checklist you set yourself up for a distraction based ATSB appearance. Unless you are doing multiple pre-take off checks before you depart, which just over complicates things. Doing critical actions while entering a runway for departure is not great airmanship as you set yourself up for either missing that action or missing your lookout in a busy environment. Much better pilots than me have succumbed to this so I avoid doing anything but concentrate on lookout and the take-off anywhere near a runway, not worrying if something I should have done stationary well away from there has been done. And not confusing this with a quick scan that everything is where it should be prior to rolling, but that is just conformation, not actions that could be missed in a rush.

Reminds me of Navajos and taking off on Auxillaries, because the operator had some weird method of taxiiing on auxes and if you missed the pre take-off checklist item to change tanks to mains you ended up star centerfold in the crash mags. This happened more than once, I wonder if operators still do this sort of nonsense.

A lot of this is airmanship as well, blasting the parking area at 1800 rpm just prior to shut down makes no sense, and if you are doing this arbitrarily without thinking even worse.