PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PT6 Starting question
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2021, 13:15
Outwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
Never flew a turbine helo that had a ignition switch. Never has trouble ever starting a 212 or 412 (non fadec PT-6), no tendency to over temp, but that was all sea level operations.

Fixed wing manuals I have powered by PT-6 all have separate starter and ignition switches, one single engine even has a caption warning if the ignition is on when the engine is running with the advice if not flying in rain then turn it off. Outwest, the start on the Thrush is exactly as you describe for the Air Tractor.
I agree Megan, so again why the difference.....if the FW installation is concerned about fuel in the can when the starter is engaged then why not on a RW installation? As we all know the procedure to start a 212 is to roll the throttle on above about 12% and wait for light off. Many years ago an 212 pilot I was flying with said that was not necessary because the flow divider won't open until 12% anyway. He said I'll show you, well I thought its his a## if it goes hot, but he rolled the throttle to ground idle and hit the starter, sure enough nothing happened until it went past 12% and lit off normally. Now I'm not suggesting to try it, but it sure surprised me.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone but I would really like a P&W rep to explain the difference, any reps out there?