PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lofty Marshall
Thread: Lofty Marshall
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2021, 07:45
Dick Allen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lofty Marshall

I had a 'phone call yesterday from his son Howard, telling me that Lofty had died yesterday morning (3rd December). He will be fondly remembered by vast cohorts of helicopter pilots as QHI and Groundschool Instructor, although probably not the "newer fellers"; Lofty turned 90 in September.

Like many of that generation, Lofty first flew as a fighter pilot - on Vampires in Germany - of which times (and many others) he was a rich source of anecdotes, many of them unsuitable for a family audience!

I don't know any more details at present, but will post them here when known. The funeral - not a military one - will almost certainly take place at the Shawbury Church; given the time of year, Howard thinks it might even be after Christmas.

I last spoke to Lofty only a few weeks ago - in the Elephant and Castle! Still lucid about "the old days", I remember the discussion touching on whether or not the gyroscopic effect of the centrifugal compressor in the Vampire's engine made stall turns easier in one direction than the other! (I couldn't remember the engine type, but Lofty quickly reminded me: "the Goblin of course".) Still the sharp instructor.

RIP Lofty - there will now be a lot more tales to be told in the "Happy Hour bar in the Sky" and also - I hope - here.