PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most important religion in Australia revealed!
Old 4th Dec 2021, 03:18
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
You make my point.

What about patient safety in hospitals? Or maybe doctors and nurses have no religious beliefs. Why wouldn’t laws about patient safety be able to be inconsistent with religious discrimination law?

All of the examples you gave are dealt with in existing rules. If someone’s not fit to fly because they’ve not had enough food and water in the previous 12 hours, it doesn’t matter whether that outcome is the result of person’s religious beliefs, the result of the person having lost a bet or the result of the person just being stupid (to the extent to which those are different).

I ‘get it’ that everyone involved in aviation wants to believe that aviation - and therefore they - are ‘special’. But that’s one of the reasons we have the regulatory nightmare we have.

(It’s academic anyway. As AP has observed, the Bill is unlikely to become an Act any time soon. Scotty rushed it into the Parliament knowing that it would be punted to a Committee. That way Scotty can say to the religious fanatics that he (personally) introduced the Bill into Parliament as promised, but godless heathens are delaying its passage. I’ve always marvelled that the most treacherous people I know are ‘religious’.)

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 4th Dec 2021 at 03:42. Reason: Fixed typo