PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat
Thread: Carb Heat
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 15:14
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ahramin
No one is telling you that your technique is not acceptable for starting your aircraft in Arizona.
I think several have said my starting technique was incorrect and had a higher fire risk than following Piper's procedure. I have only defended use of throttle pump while cranking as an alternative to using the primer. It is not my only starting technique and the aircraft is not confined to Arizona.

What starting technique works best depends on many variables and cannot possibly be covered in a single procedure that is followed by rote. While it may be possible to reliably start an engine by following a rote procedure I maintain that the same engine may be started more quickly if all the environmental variables are considered and the procedure is adjusted accordingly. Modifying the procedure depending on the conditions takes skill, experience, and perhaps some empathy with the engine. Such deviation from published procedure will be unacceptable to some.

No one has yet supported the claim of increased fire risk. How much fuel is delivered by two cycles of the throttle pump. Where does it go if the engine is being cranked? Where can any fire be sustained?

Last edited by EXDAC; 3rd Dec 2021 at 17:01.