PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat
Thread: Carb Heat
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 23:38
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
And, it's worth noting that where there is a conflict between the engine manufacturer's published information, and the airframe manufacturer's flight manual, the flight manual shall prevail.
I suggest you read the 1975 Piper PA-28-180 starting procedure. It is total garbage. It would have me crank for up to 10 seconds with no prime before attempting to use the primer. I can let my airplane sit a month and start it in less than 2 seconds with one or two cycles of the throttle lever. I've been starting it this way for 20 years. I know the airplane and I know what works.

There is zero risk of an induction fire if the throttle is pumped one to three times while cranking. All the fuel is ingested by the engine. In contrast, excessive prime with the engine not turning will pool fuel in the induction system.

The local flight school probably instructs the student to use the Piper procedure. The continuous grinding of starters is painful to hear. Some people never develop any feel for engines. They blindly follow a procedure with no understanding of what is happening or why it doesn't work.

As I said earlier, don't knock the technique if you have not used it. Well, have you used it?

(This thread is starting to look like a re-run of a recent SuperCub.org thread)