PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help UAL Capt Al Haynes Save his Daughter
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 23:01
Blue & White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Help UAL Capt Al Haynes Save his Daughter

Ladies and Gentlemen,
The following note was posted on our company website. It involves ret Capt Al Haynes, the hero captain that landed the crippled DC10 in Iowa with total hydraulic failure.

Hero Pilot Trying To Help Save Daughter's Life

As the captain of United Flight 232, SeaTac-based pilot Al Haynes helped save 184 people when he guided his disabled plane in for a crash landing back in 1989.

Now he's asking for your help to save one more life.

Capt. Haynes says he didn't have time to be scared when his plane went down that day in Sioux City, Iowa. But now, he is scared because his only daughter will die without a desperately needed bone marrow transplant.

When Laurie Haynes Arguello, 39, was diagnosed with aplastic anemia two years ago the first thing she did, was call her father, Capt. Al Haynes.

"I just called dad and said, 'What do we do?'" Arguello said.

After two years of doctors appointments and transfusions, Arguello now needs a bone marrow transplant to survive.

She has a donor, but not the more than $200,000 needed to pay for an operation no fully covered by insurance.

It's a concern that keeps her awake at night.

"My son's nine. My husband and I have been together for over 20 years. I have a lot to live for," she said.

She has a lot of support from family and friends, who have launched a fund-raising campaign to save Arguello's life.

For Capt. Al Haynes, Laurie's is another life he desperately wants to save.

"It's another one, yeah, very important to me but, it's just another one. But if I can do it, I will. Any way we can," he said.

Capt. Haynes says besides dealing with the recent deaths of his wife and son -- and now facing the illness of his daughter -- his greatest challenge was overcoming the survivor's guilt he felt after the crash

HOW TO HELP Make a donation to National Foundation For Transplants at: NFT for Lauria Arguello P. O. Box 7781 Covington, WA 98042

Or go to www.transplants.org. look for Patient Campaigns and click on Laurie Arguello. (Editor’s Note: Click on the link in the upper left to find Laurie’s name.)

**International Donations**

We became aware of this problem earlier today and our web host technicians
will be correcting it this afternoon. Actually, we had received some
on-line international donations successfully, but they all had to put in
fake states. We weren't aware of the situation prior to this time because we
normally don't receive many donations from outside the United States.
Our web-site donations page will be down for about one hour this afternoon
while we make the adjustment.
Thank you for support of the NFT campaign for Laurie Arguello.
Sincerely,
Janice Hill
Manager of Communications
[email protected]
(800)489-3863

Your link wasn't working Blue&white, it is now

Last edited by Blue & White; 24th Dec 2003 at 01:12.