PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on at the top??
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 11:15
NutLoose

Received 2,840 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
I know the feeling. As a Stn exec I felt that Cmd contributed little or nothing to our operation other than serving to divert us from our primary task. When I got to Cmd nothing changed my mind, We reorganised, renamed, cheese pared and spent a lot of energy running the HQ. I sometimes felt if all the units disappeared, leaving just the HQ, the grown ups would barely notice. As a small cog in the large machine I felt sometimes, very occasionally, I improved things at Stn level but as a larger (yet still relatively small) cog I don't think I contributed to achieving even one extra sortie. The battles I fought with the bean counters sometimes achieved a small win but mostly it was trying to do the same with less. It was about then disillusionment set in.
But that is what you get, a lot of people generating ideas, changes and paperwork to give meaning to their lives and justify their existance.

Sir Harvey Jones when he did the troubleshooter series many. many moons ago visited such a company, he was shown around the works that was falling apart, had no money spent on the facilities for years and years where a workforce were struggling to produce the product and get it out of the door, next he was taken to the brand new office building, light, warm and up to date with all the latest gadgets, stopping at a desk he asked someone what they did and he said he generated paperwork that went to someone else that basically signed and filed it.. he pointed out that was why the company was failing, they were not spending where it needed to be and everyone in that office building were overheads that those producing the goods were paying for and they had lost touch with their product.

Last edited by NutLoose; 1st Dec 2021 at 11:32.