PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744F off the runway in YHZ
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 10:42
Uplinker

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Notwithstanding that there may have been some catastrophic failure of one or several retardation systems: would it be reasonable to assume that this crew had had ample time during the cruise to read the NOTAMS* and calculate their LDR in the conditions at Halifax - especially given that their desired runway, (with an ILS), was not the longest available?

Would it also be reasonable to assume they had EFBs, giving them a pretty accurate LDR and margin.? **

I ask because the decision of the Captain to continue to use the out-of wind runway - right on the limits - and use less than maximum landing flap, rather than an NPA onto a more into-wind runway, seems very questionable to me.

Tailwinds are very insiduous - even a few knots may sound insignificant, but as we know can have a large effect on the LDR.

*NOTAMS are often criticised for their number, relevance and awkward presentation: Perhaps ICAO should consider reviewing the format to present clearer information, more easily assimilated. For example, on runway related NOTAMS, add a simple statement at the beginning of each to state that "RWY XX is open but subject to the following restrictions":............

** Maybe EFBs could be modified to calculate a maximum wind acceptable in the given landing conditions; so a crew would instantly have a displayed go/no-go wind figure for when ATC gives the final wind with the landing clearance. Maybe some EFBs do, but the ones I used, (in three airlines) did not AFAIK.

Last edited by Uplinker; 1st Dec 2021 at 10:56.