PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744F off the runway in YHZ
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 04:14
punkalouver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
I would assume the crew would use VNAV with a 3° descent angle, which would put them in position for landing as if there was no displaced threshold. At 500' above the airport, the crew would have to disconnect the autopilot and then do some sort of level off or reduced descent rate maneuver to land further down the runway”

Given the NOTAMS I wouldn’t assume they would use VNAV….

It would LNAV and probably some other vertical mode such as V/S to fly a continuous descent…
You are correct that the notam states that VNAV cannot be used with the LNAV. So what is available? When the safety board mentions that that runway 23 was open and could have been used I wonder if they really expect the 747 pilots to do an old fashioned 'dive and drive' NDB approach some sort of level off and descent again below minimums. I suppose it could be done. That is why I am curious what some 747 pilots might have done that night. I wonder if most would also have chosen runway 14.

Would anybody build their own VNAV descent complying with all crossing altitudes and perhaps that 130' threshold crossing altitude that Flight Detent mentioned.