PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work starts on new self-declared medical - The CASA Briefing
Old 30th Nov 2021, 23:05
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
You quoted UK and US self-certification in the other thread. CASA could save on all the consultation as this matter has already been discussed ad nauseum in these countries and just publish a proposal tomorrow. Wouldn't that be nice?

None of us are getting any younger out here.
Unfortunately the UK and US rules are different, if there was concensus it would be easier, but as usual the UK is more restrictive than the US.

Things they need to avoid is the 'seat' limit ideal, a max take off weight is all that is needed. Make it a simple 3 tons to allow most six seater varieties (I would prefer same as road vehicles for consistency of 4.5 tons as i don't see any extra complication of flying a Navajo or Chieftain VFR any more dangerous than a Jabiru). My reasoning is any seat limit puts pressure on the pilot to squeeze him and his family into something unsuited for the job. It's not like tomorrow there will be a splurge of PPLs with no medical buying million dollar plus twins anyway, so the financial aspect controls it.

Limits of 'not over populated ares' is just stupid as a pilot could become incapacitated anywhere and the aircraft fly itself into a populated area, or out of it for that matter. We all know incapacitation does not mean fall out of the sky there and then, as with many depressurised events the aircraft kept flying for miles.

Not in CTA is just stupid, again, just could become incapacitated next to CTA and fly into it, what's the difference. And limiting where a pilot can fly just makes the operation more dangerous.

Simple rules like cant fly IFR, night, Aerobatics, etc as these place additional stress on the body and a full medical is required then, as its outside the realms of what a normal driver would experience. It would be probably even acceptable to place additional rules on weather conditions as to ensure VMC opperation.