PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work starts on new self-declared medical - The CASA Briefing
Old 30th Nov 2021, 22:32
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
The process itself is a manifestation of CASA’s congenital inability to make decisions on the basis of objective data. The experiment has been run and the results are in.

We should not underestimate the scaremongering skills of AvMed and other interest groups who leverage off the human mind’s natural tendency to overestimate the probabilities of events with awful consequences. That’s why, in the 21st century, it’s ‘acceptable’ for me to drive a car with 5 POB towing a caravan with an all-up weight of 4,500kg, night and day in all kinds of weather, sharing the roads with bus loads of school children, without having a medical certificate from ‘RoadMed’, but if I jump into an aircraft less than quarter the weight of my ute and caravan, with one passenger, and go flying: Oh the humanity! The potential death plunge and mid-air collision caused by sudden incapacitation requires medical scrutiny and medical certification, no matter what the objective probabilities of either of those outcomes happens to be. (Unless the aircraft I jump into is a GFA glider or RAAus registered – go figure.)